Skills Recognition

Overseas skills recognition

Skills recognition is about having your overseas trade or professional skills and qualifications formally assessed and recognised in Australia.

You must provide evidence that your skills have been assessed as suitable for your nominated occupation by the relevant assessing authority. 

You must provide from the relevant assessing authority a full (permanent) skills assessment which must be used for Points Tested Skilled Migration.

In almost all cases, assessing bodies will require that you have post-secondary, such as university or trade, qualifications in order to receive a positive assessment of your skills. 

In a small number of occupations, substantial relevant work experience may be acceptable. Each assessing authority will be able to advise you what the qualification requirements are for the occupations they assess.

Trade skills recognition

You may be able to have your trade qualifications recognised in Australia. The following organisations can help you with this process:

Assessing authorities

The list of assessing authorities provides a complete list of the relevant assessing authority for each occupation on the lists.

Other profession-specific resources for migrants include:

EDUCATION: The Australian Institute for Teaching and School Leadership (AITSL) – for migrants with overseas qualifications as early-childhood, primary and secondary teachers.

INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY: Australian Computer Society – for ICT professionals.

ENGINEERING: Engineers Australia – for civil and structural engineers.

ACCOUNTING: CPA Australia – for financial accounting occupations.

MEDICAL / NURSING / MIDWIFERY: Australian Nursing and Midwifery Council and Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHRPA) – for all medical and allied healthcare professions

DENTAL: Australian Dental Council – for dental practitioners

SOCIAL /WELFARE WORK: Australian Association of Social Workers – for social and welfare workers.

AVIATION: Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) – for aircraft pilots

ARCHITECTURE: Architects Accreditation Council of Australia – for architects

Are You Confused?